Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hair for Hailey


I chopped 10 inches off my hair!! I had been growing it out ever since I met Brodie (about 3 years ago) because he preferred his woman to have long flowing locks. However, with the addition of Sam, my hair had gotten to be more of a hassle than anything else! I was ready to say goodbye, so I waited until it was just long enough to meet the minimum requirement to donate it to an organization called Locks of Love. (locksoflove.org ) This organization provides hair pieces for children who have lost their hair through various diseases.

I am donating my hair in memory of my sweet cousin Hailey. She passed away earlier this year at the age of 17. She had brain cancer and after all the chemotherapy and brain surgeries she had lost all of her beautiful golden locks. Her hair really sticks out in my memories. As a little girl, her bright blond hair and sweet smile brightened up the room.



After she passed away, three of us (myself, Hailey's best friend, and Hailey's best friend's Dad) who had dreams of images of Hailey in heaven. And you know what stands out in each of our dreams? Hailey's hair. In the dreams her hair was so bright and blond it was like it was glowing and shining. It was so long and flowy, when she moved it was like her hair was a wave in the ocean. In each of our dreams, Hailey seemed to be so at peace, so bright and so cheerful. It was like her true personality was out and shining, and she was herself more then ever. What a beautiful and encouraging picture of my dear cousin in heaven. These dreams have brought many of us hope that Hailey is in heaven and is indeed Happy, Healthy, and Whole.


More than relying on the dreams for hope, I cling to the promises of the Bible for hope. Dreams aren't always reliable, but the Bible always is. John 11:25 says, "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet he shall live." This is where I find true hope for Hailey. Because Jesus rose from the dead and went to heaven, we can be assured that through faith in Him, we will join Him there.

I am so encouraged by what Hailey's best friend had told me about Hailey's faith. She talked about Hailey's love for the Bible. In the last year of her life, she was dedicated to going to a girl's Bible Study and would come even when others were dropping out and making excuses. She would always bring the girls back on track when the conversation would steer outside the Bible study topic. She knew life was short and she wanted to spend as much time as she could in God's Word.



I was able to visit Hailey a week before she passed on and got to see a glimpse of her faith too. At this point, her tumor was so big it had taken over control of much of her brain and the only two ways she could communicate was by a slight nod of the head or a thumbs up. I had asked Hailey if she had faith that God could heal her from her disease. She responded in the only ways she could-a little nod and a big thumbs up held high in the air. Wow.


In John 11:4, Jesus is talking about Lazarus, but I love reading it while thinking about Hailey too. Jesus says, "This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the son of God may be glorified through it." Her illness may have led to physical death, but I believe she is alive and well in heaven.Yes, it was such a tragic loss and we are all so mournful to lose such a precious soul at such a young age. But so much glory has been brought to God throughout the time she was ill and in these months afterwards. Many people had their faith strengthened by God as they prayed and prayed and prayed for healing. Faith was grown as people trusted in God's wisdom and God's goodness. I heard story after story of so many cool things that happened that wouldn't of happened if she had never been sick. (Just ask her Mom to tell you-she's got plenty of stories) God brought the good out of the bad just like He always does."This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the son of God may be glorified through it." John 11:4











No comments:

Post a Comment