Wednesday, July 3, 2013

2 under 2

“Wow! You’ve got your hands full!”


“Uh oh, here comes double trouble.”

These phrases and ones like them are things I hear ALL the time from strangers I come across.  I usually just smile and nod, or if I’m thinking on my toes, I’ll say something like. “Yes, my hands are full, full of good things!” And though I might have been having a good day, those little discouraging comments sometimes drag me down. I start to think, maybe they are right. Mothering my 2 kids under 2 really is double trouble. Maybe I should just throw up my very full hands and give up.

But then God pulls my heart back to the truth. To trust what HE says, not some lady at Wal-mart.  To trust what HE says over the lies from the world that children are a burden, an inconvenience, and even disposable. And what God says is that my children are a Blessing, a Gift, and Reward from Him. God chose ME to be their Mom. God used my body to create these two little beings! Two miniature people with eternal souls!  Souls who will have their very character shaped by my influence. Two souls that I can impact for eternity and who can impact others. What an amazing privilege that is! It still boggles my mind!!


With S’s birthday around the corner, my days of having 2 under 2 are coming to a close.  For 10 months now, I have had two babies running/crawling/rolling all over the house (for those of you doing the math, the boys are 14 months apart) They truly are a blessing but God doesn’t promise his blessings will always be easy!  Of course there are those moments I want to pull my hair out!  Those times when both babies are crying at the same time and I have to decide which one to help first. Those times when the nap schedules just aren’t lining up quite right and I can’t catch a break. Times when the toddler is testing the limits of wrestling with his baby brother. Eyes aren’t for poking and faces aren’t for sitting on!  And of course there are all the “fights” over toys because sharing sure does not come natural! I feel like a broken record all day saying the two phrases, “please be kind” and “do not take toys.” I’m sure my prayers sound like a broken record too, “Lord please give me patience...Lord please give me patience…oh and wisdom too….but please give me lots of patience..YOUR patience!!!”  And He does. He answers my pleas for patience abundantly.


But there are so so many more of the precious kind of moments. Sweet moments where I wish I could just freeze time. Like when they get so excited to see each other in the mornings. I think little J likes S more than anyone else by how much he squeals and kicks his legs when S is approaching. These two boys are going to (and already have) such an influence on the person that each will grow up to become. I’ve already seen my oldest. Having a little brother forces him to look outside himself. At an age when developmentally a  toddler should be self focused, he thinks of others. He brings J burp cloths, pats his back when he’s upset, brings him certain toys, offers him his food, makes him giggle all the time, smothers him with hugs, kisses and belly raspberries. I already see how having a brother so close in age is going to shape each of my boys hearts to have compassion, kindness, and deep care for others.

Those funny, laugh out loud moments have started too. Just yesterday, they were taking a bath together and all of the sudden Jo starts peeing upwards. S proceeds to giggle, stand up and starts peeing too. Somehow my bathtub acquired two yellow fountains! By this time, S Is giggling nonstop, J catches the contagious laugh and their Mommy couldn’t help but giggle too (with a little instruction about the toilet.) With two boys this is just the beginning of this kind of humor! 


My 2 under 2 have been such a joy to me and really are a blessing! Just look at the precious photos. How could anyone think they are double trouble!

By the way, if you see a mom at the store with her hands full of little blessings, please speak words of truth to her that will be encouraging! I’ll never forget my favorite grocery store comment from an elderly lady that I knew was sincere. “Wow, you have two boys. You are SO LUCKY.” I'm not just Lucky though. I am Blessed.



































1 comment:

  1. Hey Bri, I'm not terribly technically savvy... How do I subscribe to your blog??

    ReplyDelete