Sunday, February 12, 2017

Easter Mountain Craft Kit


I'm so excited to share with you my latest project! As I considered ways I could contribute to raising money for our adoption, I had three criteria: 1. Something I am passionate about 2. Something God has already gifted me with 3. Something my kids could be involved in. And the Lord led me to Easter Mountain! A tradition we've done in our family since the kids were tiny. (See our blog from 2014 here: Heflin Easter Traditions) Helping other families celebrate Jesus is something I am so passionate about. And this project was something my kids could help put together.


The activity is designed to walk your family through the events of the Passion Week on a mountain created from homemade dough with these colorful characters and Scripture devotional cards. The idea is to surprise kids each morning with a new scene on your mountain while talking through the Scriptures and applying them at a practical level. Allowing the events of the Passion week ignite a Passion in the hearts of your family for Jesus! My hope is that this would be a tradition continued in other families for many years to come. 



My favorite part of  this project was creating the Scripture Devotional Cards. I loved digging into my Bible to find verses that would serve well to capture each scene of the week. Each card also has a section of verses in bold font that could be easily memorized together as a family. On the back of the card, I wrote some devotional thoughts both for grown-ups and kids to think about each day. I loved praying over what to write for each of these! Here is a sneak peak and example of what to expect for each devotional. This one is the devotional for Palm Sunday:




After connecting their hearts with the Scripture reading and devotional, kids can then decorate Easter ornaments so that their little hands are involved in the process as much as their hearts. These ornaments can also be referenced later to remember the scenes throughout the week. You can use these on an "Easter Tree" like our family does, or just put them on your fridge or bulletin board.




I worked really hard to make this Tradition as Easy and Do-able as possible. I don't want anyone to be intimidated! I put together two step-by-step guides with detailed photos and descriptions. One guide describes the entire process of creating the mountain and preparing characters and props. All you need to add are 3 simple ingredients: flour, salt, and oil! (And for you GF peeps like me, you can use rice flour with guar/xantham gum)

The other guide provides details and ideas for what your characters can be doing throughout the week. In this guide I also include ideas for simple and fun activities you can do as a family for each day. (For example, smelling perfume or essential oils on the day Jesus is anointed.) 


And so...Ta-Da! This is what all is included in the Easter Mountain Craft kit. I would love for your family to try out the entire kit and begin this meaningful new tradition with your family. But I know life can get crazy, so if you'd just like to start small, you have the option of purchasing just the Scripture Cards and Easter Symbol ornaments for your family. 


My kiddos and I are super excited to share this tradition with other families. They helped me create the mountain and take the photos of each scenes you see in the above images. They will help me stuff each envelope as we get ready to distribute them to others. They will get to see their hard work be rewarded as money comes in from sales. They will be so excited to get closer and closer to having enough money for our adoption! I love that they get to be involved.


There is a Facebook page up and running, where other families can share ideas and photos of what has worked for their families with this Easter Tradition: Easter Mountain Craft Kit Facebook Group

You can start this new tradition in your family by placing an order here:
Orders will be mailed out the end of March 



The idea for Easter Mountain has been adapted from the Book, Treasuring God in our Traditions (c) 2003 by Noel Piper

All the wonderful clipart is used with permission by ©2012 Tammy DeYoung
You can visit her fabulous shop on Etsy at: Song in My Heart: Tammy DeYoung Designs






No comments:

Post a Comment