On my bookshelf, there is now a section I like to call, "My Mommy Library." Here's what I got on the shelf and my mini reviews. Maybe it will be helpful to you Mommas or future Mommas out there:
Baby Boot Camp by Rebeca Powell

My favorite book during the first 6 weeks. She writes 6 weeks worth of short, inspiring devotionals to get Mommy's through those rough weeks. The Scripture she uses and the way she applies it to life with a newborn really helped me to see God is my everyday life. It helped my mind to focus on Jesus those weeks when everything else seemed so cloudy around me. Strongly recommended for all new moms!
Babywise by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam

This has served me as a great baseline for how to start my baby on a schedule while still using me brain and it is helpful on some of the mechanics of breastfeeding. I love the Christian ideals in it, of how the marriage should be most important thing in the home and the baby comes second to your spouse. Teaching your baby they are NOT the center of the universe. They are a bit too strong on the "cry it out" philisophy. Overall though, it was a great book!
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

This book, recomended to me by our pediatrician helped so oh so much with getting S to sleep through the night! Understanding the need for an early bedtime, a regular naptime schedule, and deep uninteruppted sleep really enouraged me to get Sam going good on his sleep. Following the advice in this book, Sam now sleeps 10-12 hours a night now (waking only to eat 1-2 times) and consistently takes 3 naps a day, and is such a happy baby when awake. And I am one well rested Mama!
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Leche League
This one had great advice on the mechanics of breastfeeding and answering in detail any and all problems you can think of about breastfeeding. Reading their section on childbirth helped me to understand all the benefits of a natural childbirth. Their philosophy about child rearing is one I don't particular care for-the "Attachment Parenting" theory. The idea that the baby needs to always be in a sling, needs to sleep with you, needs to be offered breastfeeding everytime it cries, and will feel like you don't love him if left to cry for a little bit. So though I don't agree with it all, there are lots of good things you can filter out!
What to Expect the First Year
The most opened book of all! Information about anything and everything! It's like Google, in book form!
Fit Mama Postnatal Workout with Leisa Hart

This is my fav workout DVD right now, though I need to do it more often! The workouts are fun, short, and I really feel a burn and get out of breath at times. And there is a bonus workout called "Fit Mama and Me" where Sam and I can work out together! It is great!
The Blessing by Gary Smalley and John Trent

One of the authors of this book came to our church and Fathers day and spoke about the importance of blessing your children. The book is very encouraging and gives ways that children in the Bible were given the blessing and how we can practically bless our children today. I think the book is a little overwritten, but overall it has great ideas.
Bringing up Boys by James Dobson
I haven't gotten too far in this one yet, but I'm hoping it will help me figure out the strange world of boys and raise up a man of God.
The Duggars, 20 and Counting! by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

Previously mentioned in a blog, this book by my favorite famous family is very encouraging. It gives practical advice for raising children in a a loving environment with Jesus as the center. I love the section on raising little ones.
Baby Boot Camp by Rebeca Powell

My favorite book during the first 6 weeks. She writes 6 weeks worth of short, inspiring devotionals to get Mommy's through those rough weeks. The Scripture she uses and the way she applies it to life with a newborn really helped me to see God is my everyday life. It helped my mind to focus on Jesus those weeks when everything else seemed so cloudy around me. Strongly recommended for all new moms!
Babywise by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam

This has served me as a great baseline for how to start my baby on a schedule while still using me brain and it is helpful on some of the mechanics of breastfeeding. I love the Christian ideals in it, of how the marriage should be most important thing in the home and the baby comes second to your spouse. Teaching your baby they are NOT the center of the universe. They are a bit too strong on the "cry it out" philisophy. Overall though, it was a great book!
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

This book, recomended to me by our pediatrician helped so oh so much with getting S to sleep through the night! Understanding the need for an early bedtime, a regular naptime schedule, and deep uninteruppted sleep really enouraged me to get Sam going good on his sleep. Following the advice in this book, Sam now sleeps 10-12 hours a night now (waking only to eat 1-2 times) and consistently takes 3 naps a day, and is such a happy baby when awake. And I am one well rested Mama!
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Leche League
This one had great advice on the mechanics of breastfeeding and answering in detail any and all problems you can think of about breastfeeding. Reading their section on childbirth helped me to understand all the benefits of a natural childbirth. Their philosophy about child rearing is one I don't particular care for-the "Attachment Parenting" theory. The idea that the baby needs to always be in a sling, needs to sleep with you, needs to be offered breastfeeding everytime it cries, and will feel like you don't love him if left to cry for a little bit. So though I don't agree with it all, there are lots of good things you can filter out!What to Expect the First Year
The most opened book of all! Information about anything and everything! It's like Google, in book form!Fit Mama Postnatal Workout with Leisa Hart

This is my fav workout DVD right now, though I need to do it more often! The workouts are fun, short, and I really feel a burn and get out of breath at times. And there is a bonus workout called "Fit Mama and Me" where Sam and I can work out together! It is great!
The Blessing by Gary Smalley and John Trent

One of the authors of this book came to our church and Fathers day and spoke about the importance of blessing your children. The book is very encouraging and gives ways that children in the Bible were given the blessing and how we can practically bless our children today. I think the book is a little overwritten, but overall it has great ideas.
Bringing up Boys by James Dobson
I haven't gotten too far in this one yet, but I'm hoping it will help me figure out the strange world of boys and raise up a man of God.The Duggars, 20 and Counting! by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

Previously mentioned in a blog, this book by my favorite famous family is very encouraging. It gives practical advice for raising children in a a loving environment with Jesus as the center. I love the section on raising little ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment