Monday, September 12, 2011

Homeade Stuff inspired by the Duggars



Brodie and I started watching the Duggars on netflix and got hooked. Then I found their book at Half-Price Books and we read it and were inspired by their lives. I have gotten to where I can name almost all 19 of their children AND I keep up with their lives on their website too! Though I may not agree with everything they believe ( I choose to wear things other then long skirts and I love dancing) I am encouraged by their faith in God, their unwavering convictions, and the light the bring to so many people.
In their book, there are some budget-friendly recipies that Brodie and I have recently decided to try out. One is homeade wet-wipes and the other homeade laundry soap. The wet wipes work great. Haven't tried out the laundry soap yet, but will let you know! The recipies follow:


Homeade Baby Wipes
Ingredients



  • Round plastic container (old ice cream bucket works fine)



  • Thick, strong roll of white paper towels (Bounty is best)



  • Sharp knife to cut paper towel roll in half



  • 2 cups water



  • 2 Tablespoons baby shampoo or baby wash



  • 1 Tablespoon baby oil




  • Directions
    1. Cut the roll of paper towels in half with a knife and remove the inner cardboard core.
    2. Mix liquid ingredients in container.
    3. Place the paper towels in the container with the cut side facing downward.
    4. Secure lid tightly and allow to sit until all liquid is absorbed into the paper towels.
    5. Turn the container upside-down and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
    6. Open container and 'start' the roll by pulling a towel from the inside of the roll.
    7. Wipes are now ready to use.

    Homeade Liquid Laundry Soap

    Ingredients (can all be found on the laundry soap aisle at Wal-Mart)
    4 Cups - hot tap water
    1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
    1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

    ½ Cup Borax

    Directions
    - Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
    -Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
    -Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
    -Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
    -Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
    -Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
    -Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
    Our Laundry Soap was put in this giant Lowes bucket, after the babyl was taken out of course :)





    No comments:

    Post a Comment