Monday, October 19, 2015

Anxiety: Evaluating the Body


Evaluating the Body 
(Part 3 of my BLOG series on Anxiety)
See Part 1, or Part 2 here

I don’t claim to know it all. I don’t have a Dr. in front of my name. I am not 100% better physically. But I have found significant healing over the course of this past year. Below are my top 10 practical tips for those suffering with Anxiety and really any other mental/emotional disorders.  I hope that what I have learned can help others on their own journey to healing.

1.       Find a Holistic Doctor. One that looks at your whole body, your diet, your lifestyle, and can figure out how your symptoms can be relieved through all of those avenues. A doctor that practices “Functional Medicine” will be your best bet and one who is a D.O. instead of an M.D. is more likely to be Holistic (through not always the case.) Read reviews online, ask around in Holistic Facebook groups for references in your area. They do exist and if you find one you will be blessed!

2.       Understand your symptoms. The more I learned about the biology of my body and the symptoms I was experiencing the less scary they were. Learning about WHY I had a racing heart, shortness of breath, and heart palpitations stopped the vicious cycle of being anxious about those very symptoms caused by anxiety.  Just focus on a few trustworthy websites that can explain anxiety attack symptoms or depression symptoms and then STOP googling after that! Reading about it over and over I have found to cause me more anxiety. But learning about it once and moving on is a good thing! These two websites were helpful to me with good explanations of anxiety disorders (although I don’t know if I would fully recommend the treatment options they suggest for everyone.)    Calm Clinic or  Progesterone Therapy

3.        Understand your OWN body and THEN supplement. There is not a one size fits all prescription for any disorder like this. I made the mistake of taking a ton of different supplements before getting evaluated and later found out some of those things were actually hurting me! Bloodwork that includes testing for hormones, thyroid, genetic conditions, vitamin and mineral levels, etc can give you a better idea for what your body is lacking. For example, I was low on fish oil and vitamin D, so that is what I kept taking. I have really high cortisol levels, so I started an herbal supplement that helps balance cortisol levels. I am also on a prescription for MTHFR, a genetic condition connected to mental disorders that I would suggest you learn about too. Using more precision with your supplements puts less stress on your body and wallet!

4.       Record your symptoms and the circumstances surrounding them. Keeping track of when and where your symptoms occur and give you BIG clues for what may be causing them. Time of day, time of month, during stressful times, during times of no stress, during the middle of the night…etc. For example, my panic attacks were WAY worse in the morning then the afternoons, a clue to having high cortisol issues since your cortisol levels naturally are higher in the morning. If you are a woman, paying attention to when in your menstrual cycle they occur can give big clues as to whether you may have an imbalance of estrogen/progesterone of possibly thyroid issues. Keeping track of other signs and symptoms such as acne flare ups, hair loss, waking temperatures can also help to give big clues. There are lots of apps out there that track your cycles and symptoms which can be very helpful! Once again, your Holistic Doctor could help you see a pattern and use that along with bloodwork to pinpoint where you may need a prescription.

5.       Figure out your Triggers and ReTrain your brain. There are some triggers that are best to totally avoid like caffeine or really suspenseful shows (I had to give up Dr. Who!) but other triggers may be a part of daily life and you need to change how you approach them. For example, a big trigger of panic attacks for me was driving. It didn’t matter if I felt good all day, the second I got in the car my heart started racing and the minute I got on the highway my panic attack would begin. All because I had trained my brain to react like this and was stuck in this pattern. So I had to Retrain my brain to react calmly, when I got in the car. I started taking back roads everywhere so I was more relaxed, I would make it a point to have fun conversation with the kids as we started driving, I would “practice” driving on the highway when my husband was with me. And eventually those patterns in my brain broke and I can now drive no problem. My brain was also trained to start being anxious every morning as I started my day. Going on a week long trip to Florida also helped me get my brain rewired and when I came back I felt much more relaxed about life. Perhaps you get major anxiety when going to bed-maybe you can try to retrain your brain by sleeping upside down or reading a calm book before bed. We’ve got to break those vicious brain neuron pathways!  

6.       FOOD…FOOD ..FOOD…This one is the biggest challenge but also the most rewarding. I had felt so much better after taking pills for my cortisol, thyroid and hormone imbalances the changes in my DIET have led me to feel almost my WHOLE NORMAL self again. Going on a low sugar and low glycemic diet worked wonders to keep my blood sugar stable. When my blood sugar was stable, then I was stable. I learned all about how to do that through these lovely ladies: Trim Healthy Mamas And then, taking a food sensitivity blood test helped me to pinpoint what exactly my body was reacting to in a negative way.  I was sensitive to A TON of different foods-like broccoli, lemon, gluten, oats, dairy…a tell tell sign of a leaky gut. These foods were producing inflammation, causing my body to produce antibodies against itself, and raising my cortisol levels in order to attack the food which it saw as an invader in my body. Since cutting out everything I have been sensitive to, I have felt SO SO much better. My worst enemies- my ANXIETY and my ACNE have both decreased significantly! I am on a special protocol with enzymes, probiotics, etc for healing a leaky gut and hope to soon be able to eat all of those foods again without problems. Has it been hard? YES? Do I miss my cheese and bread? YES. Is it worth eating again? NO WAY JOSE.

7.       GET more SLEEP. We all know this helps immensely with mental and physical health. When I stay up past midnight, my body shifts into fight or flight mode again as it fights to stay awake and makes it impossible to sleep. When I don’t bet good sleep, I feel more on edge and anxious the day after. The most restorative sleep happened between 10pm and 2am (somewhere I read) so laying down by 10 is important… Now if I could only Practice what I Preach!!

8.       Avoid Multitasking. Another one where I need to do better at practicing what I preach. Whether it Is your brain or your body multitasking, it can really lead to higher stress and anxiety levels. A practical thing that has helped me is to only allot a certain time frame in the day to be on the internet. Otherwise my brain is in all different places and it is not good for my mothering nor my marriage nor myself! And for tasks around the house, I try to do one thing at a time. Super-hard, but I feel much calmer through the day. Love this blog about multitasking.

9.       Find your HAPPY place. Sounds lame and all yoga-like, but really. Find what relaxes you. Find what will produce more Serotonin (the happy hormone) that can combat all that anxiety or depression. Maybe it is yoga. Maybe it is bubble baths or watching the Office.  Maybe reading an inspiring book or devotional. For me it is being outside in the quiet, just observing God’s creation. Or just laying down on the carpet in my living room on my back doing some stretches. Where do you get those peaceful serotonin surges?

10.   Remember above all that the Lord knows your body best. Pray pray pray for healing. Ask your friends to pray for healing. He is faithful whether He chooses to heal or not. I am thankful He chose to heal me through all the ways that I have mentioned above. Praise the Lord! I give HIM all the Glory!!


No comments:

Post a Comment