Last year I worked in the ghetto of Dallas, teaching Kindergarten in one of the roughest areas of town. It was hard, but well worth it. I called them my babies. I wasn't just their teacher, at times I really felt like they belonged to me and I was to care for them as if they were my own children. I loved them, and still love them so much. I cried so hard that last day of school! And I learned, once you go ghetto, you can never go back!
After moving and realizing I couldn't get a full time teaching job now that I am pregnant, I looked for volunteer opportunities in the ghetto of Fort Worth. Now I have a new set of kids from the ghetto to love!! I'm so excited! I volunteer 2 days a week at an inner city ministry in their preschool program. There are kids all ages, from age 1-5, but I tend to focus my attention on those 4 and 5 year olds that I have grown so accustomed to teaching after a year of Kinder! I love tutoring them and teaching them letters and phonics. And this place is especially great because I am also free to teach them about God and the Bible--to build into their spiritual lives, as well as academic. I'm very grateful for the time God's given me to invest in these kids!
Here are some pics of my new beloved kids from the ghetto.
So sweet! God is using you wherever and however you go.
ReplyDeleteLove it!! God gives you just the right ministry for each season of your life. <3
ReplyDelete